Saturday 4 October 2014

Requested a special Christmas card from Transdiffusion... and some reminisces of getting interested in foreign TV

A few days ago I've requested a Christmas card from Transdiffusion on Twitter. Transdiffusion (a broadcasting history preservation foundation) from the UK promotes sending Christmas cards with design from various TV stations in the UK and a few countries. A random design will be sent to those who send their name and address to Transdiffusion. The foundation has 100 Christmas card prints. The first time I knew they did this was last year. (They also had opened a Flickr page a year later but they had opened a Flickr group some years ago). I had the opportunity sending out my name and address via direct message to Transdiffusion. I hope that Transdiffusion can send me a beautiful Christmas card design. This would be the first time I will get a foreign TV memorabilia in a physical way, not digital or virtual (but I once had a presenter photo card from a foreign radio station that I found simply in my country).

I think I had followed Transdiffusion on Twitter after I followed TV Live around late 2012 or 2013. It was also the same time I started reading and getting familiar with TV Forum website from the UK and the Hosomania blog from Japan. But I started surfing the Transdiffusion website way back when I was in my late childlood years in August 2005, which was also the same time I started interested with foreign TV. 

UK was the first country I got interested with in foreign TV, followed by Australia in December 2005 (via a link given by TV Ark). I had started using Streamyx broadband at my home at that time. I was busy surfing the BBC website. I remember they promote a one-minute video making competition and from there I clicked on the BBC Cult section website. The BBC Cult section is a section of the BBC website which showcases some of the novelty things that British people loved in the past. The BBC Cult section has some features on broadcasting such as BBC 2 and the thing that came out before TV transmission starts which is the "test card". The test card featured was Test Card F. In the feature there were links given by the BBC Cult section so I clicked on some of them. I got familiar with such website that I couldn't find anywhere else. And they also helped me to understand what broadcasting is, not just test cards but TV presentation (the ones that appear in-between programmes and how the TV stations identify themselves, with the familiar jargons used only in the interest area such as idents, continuity, break bumper, mock and also some British words never used in my country which also expand my English vocabulary), radio, broadcast archiving, broadcast engineering, computer graphics and DXing. In recent years I learn more about digital TV and DXing in detail and got exposed with how TV broadcasting looks like in Japan and some foreign countries. I also keep two Twitter lists where I follow almost all of the Twitter users who are in the two lists that I made; one for British TV (for the Twitter users who concentrate on British TV) and one for Australian TV (for the Twitter users who concentrate on Australian TV).

The UK-based TV presentation websites I familiar with are MHP (the website that helped me learn what testcards are used in the UK and the world), Andrew Wiseman's Television Room, TV Ark (website concentrating on TV broadcasting videos), defunct ones such as The Mock Factory, TV Fetish, Afternoon Programmes Follows Shortly (concentrating on recreating or making imaginary TV stations) and a whole lot more. My younger brother got interested with my hobby in February 2006. And until now my passion has been broadcasting, along with experience that I have after seeing how TV looks like in foreign countries using the power of internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment